Specialty Tanks






Class A Certification

10.3   Permanent Closure


If you need to permanently close a tank you are required to notify the Department of Commerce no less than five-days prior to beginning the permanent closure process. This is done by completing the Comm 10 Notification Record (Form ERS-9198) and mailing it to the address provided at the top of the form.


The tank can either be closed in-place, or removed from the facility and scrapped, or reused if it meets certain conditions.


If a tank is closed in-place it must be filled with an approved inert material (e.g. sand). Contact Commerce to get a determination regarding approved materials that can be used for filling tanks that are to be closed in place.