PEI Inspection Requirements
The Department of Commerce requires that the owner/operator must meet the UST inspection requirements specified by the Petroleum Equipment Institute (PEI) in their recommended practice, “RP900 - UST Inspection and Maintenance.”
Purchase copies of the RP and download free copies of the inspection checklist at www.pei.org.
The primary areas of inspection for the UST system on a daily basis include:
1. Automatic Tank Gauge (if applicable)
2. Mechanical Line Leak Detectors
3. Daily inventory reconciliation
4. Tank fill (includes covers and manways)
5. Tank spill containment buckets
6. Tank sumps
Additional information in regard to the inspection of the above UST system elements can be found in Chapter 6: Periodic Inspections of this training course.